As we’ve already discussed in our previous post, online backup systems have unquestionable benefits: easy to use, affordable and ubiquitously accessible, they have become the favorite data protection choice of individuals as well as small and large enterprises. To put it in other words, the tech community is ‘migrating’ from ‘hard’ backup solutions to ‘cloud’ ones. Why? The thing is that even if you happen to face a force-majeure such as fire, flood or other tech disasters you will be relaxed about the protection of your data, as they’ll be ‘nestled’ in the clouds, safe and sound.
Still no clues on what online backup system to pick up out of the myriads of options? Below are some valuable recommendations to help you make the optimal option for you.
1. Do study your options. First off, make inventory of all the available cloud backup services on the market to find out what you’ve got on your plate and what options they offer. For instance, many of the top cloud storage services enable you to automatically save the files that means that you can determine the frequency of your data backups. Moreover, a few of the backup systems have the so-called “continuous backup’ option which saves every single file as it is being updated. The latter addresses 2 important issues with one shot: not only is it an effective way to safeguard your latest files against accidental damage or loss but also have an ongoing access to the latest versions of your data.
2. Do decide the storage space amount you will need. Of course, it’s not easy to figure out how much cloud storage space you will need in future (as your personal or company’s data grows over time). It depends on various factors, including your future plans, goals, hobbies, interests, etc. For instance, if you’re keen on pursuing photography on a serious scale you are sure to need more and more storage room to ‘accommodate’ your images. Generally, 1 Tb is enough for housing the majority of the files. However, this is not a universal thing. If you’re constantly dealing with larger files (videos, for instance), you will need an online backup service that stores more than 1 TB files.
3. Do consider mobile options. The good news is that quite a lot of cloud backup services enable you to access the saved data on a tablet or smartphone. So, be sure to choose who which comes with an app compatible with the operating system you use. Besides, some cloud systems have the option of backing up data from your device to the cloud, including photos, videos and even the list of contacts, text messages and apps.
4. Don’t forget about customer support options. Just having your data backed up in a cloud doesn’t mean you are immune to any kind of issues (of course, you wish you were!). However, you can’t predict or prevent everything. To this end, it’s preferable to keep your files in a system that offers live, phone or email support: better prepared- better protected. Besides, to address technical questions that may arise in the backup process, you can check out various how-to articles, video tutorials and forums.
5. Don’t go for the cheap or free services. Freebies or cheap options may not play into your hand in this case (well, the opposite is also true- pricey doesn’t necessarily mean the best). Fortunately, nowadays you have a large scope of price options as far as cloud backup systems are concerned. The rule of thumb is to focus not on the price tag but the value the backup service will add.
To sum up, choosing the right cloud service that would meet your or your company’s needs is a no-nonsense process: there are a few important nuances and peculiarities you shouldn’t overlook. So, before opting for a service make sure you have considered all the pros and cons. Do research first, seek out for services that offer customer support options and take into account mobile capabilities of the online backup system. Also, focus on the value rather than the alluring low price or ‘free’ tag on a service.
What else do you consider while choosing an online backup system? Share your thoughts and suggestions on the comment section below.